Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Favorite Hat


I've never been much of a hat person. My parents were very utilitarian when it came to fashion, so my childhood was full of dreadful overalls, souvenir t-shirts, and itchy, tight watchcaps when it got cold. Of course, I wasn't the most fashion conscious either, but I hated the hat hair, the static, the dorkiness. I remember begging for ear muffs and never getting them.

Now that I have knitting though, there will probably never be a shortage of ridiculous, "fashionable" hats that I think are my own little piece of the runway, a la The Devil Wears Prada. Needless to say, my mother is proud of me.

This is the latest creation, thanks to probably my favorite blogger, Wendy Bernard:

Pattern: Le Slouch

Yarn: Unknown pure wool that's a deep blue with hints of purple throughout.

Modifications: Virtually none, though I had a bit of trouble getting the right number of stitches right at the end. No biggie though.

This was a cute, fast project that I think turned out pretty well. Definitely not as soft as my recent Odessa, but it's a great tweedy color and very warm.

In other news, I'm trying to stay motivated with my Mitered Square Blanket. Most of the knitting is done, creating quite a pile. Knitting the squares are so fun because each row is smaller than the last one, but this project is proving once again that I don't like seaming as much as I probably should. I am using the No-Sew (or nearly so) method that Kay recommends, and no doubt that will cut the seaming time in half, at least.

I'm also thinking of tackling something a little more complicated, a little more complex. I haven't really stretched my knitting muscle lately. I'm seriously considering Eunny's Print of the Wave Stole or maybe Leaves and Waves, though I haven't decided if I like using two colors or not. Any ideas from anyone who tried either of these?

No comments: