Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Fourth!

In the midst of summer busy-ness, the 4th stands almost as a beacon of sanity, or at least it does for me, mostly because it's so predictable. This year I worked in the morning (with some not-so-happy customers, let me add: if you're going to insist on shopping on a major holiday for something that isn't neccessary to have, at least be nice to the people stuck waiting on you), but then went to a barbeque at Guy's house, another one at my house, and then to see some fireworks. Here I am sitting by the river the fireworks were near, in broad daylight because we wanted a good viewing spot, and passing the time happily with the Rusted Root.


Though, looking again, my photographer missed the knitting almost entirely in that shot. Ah well. It's not nearly as bit as I'd hoped. I realized soon after my last post that I had completely messed up the number of stitches I had allotted for the lace panel. I've always found it a little confusing to adjust for sizing in a pattern (doing the medium size, with numbers in parentheses, for example, rather than the first number I see), and that's probably where I went wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with row 5 as written: it's my brain that hasn't adjusted to working a lace pattern without a chart. I now have the correct number of stitches and I think the lace is going better. We'll see more when there's a more substantial amount of fabric.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about stitch markers. Angelika reminded me of the yarn loop method (just a bit of yarn tied into a circle), which I've used in the past. I think I'll try that or the rubber circles soon.

Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, full of the things and people you love. I know mine was, and made especially nice with a nice fireworks display:




And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.

No comments: